Tuesday 19 February 2013

Spring to soon! Sprung!

I would write about Lent, but I'm not quite there yet. Something about it being half term makes Lent seem unreal - a desert in the holidays? I have never traveled that far.

This morning I thought it was spring. I woke with the dawn sunlight and bounced out of bed ready for activity. Then I looked at the clock - it was 6.45. Figuring no one else would want to be up yet I drank some apple juice, ate a banana and began to make plans.....

I would take my race bike out for a spin, the first of the year. I could see the sun breaking through the mist, and imagined that the hills of the Cotswolds would be magical. I could drop in on my parents and visiting family, hang out for a while doing some crochet, and then whizz back through the hills during a glorious sunset. It would be a long day - 50 miles on the bicycle - but nothing a taste of spring could not bring me too.

I dressed in my bicycle adventure gear, packed my panniers with a change of clothes and my crochet, went outside and uncovered my race bike. It was in much need of attention. A winter in pyjamas had left it stiff, with flat tires and cobwebs. I set to work. By the time I was ready to go it was nearing 10am. I whizzed a mile along the main road before I realised. It was FREEZING.

This was no day to be adventuring on a bicycle! TURN BACK!

Turning around I came to terms with the fact that the task I had set before myself was not going to be completed. It was too much of a challenge. I do not like to come to terms with such realisations.

On reaching home I made a new plan. I put on my running shoes and set off towards Port Meadow. The floods had receded enough to make my normal running route accessible. It was beautiful. Ice had formed on the blades of grass, and in the undulating lowland where the water collected. As the sun struggled to reach each corner of the land it melted and glistened. I ran along cheerily, and thought to myself, 'I should run more often'. I love being outdoors. Running time is 'me' time; it is prayer time, thinking time, God time. I never get to it though. I am always too busy or too tired, or it is too dark. Quite obviously it is much easier for me to make time for running than to make time for 50 mile adventure cycles. 

Today spring sprung. Today there is time. Today doing a little something is possible. Nothing too much, no 50 mile dashes. Just time to run and think and be. Just the time to see the world waiting, the spring springing. It begins. 

Rhubarb Pie with Cream and Ice Cream

This is what we had for dessert on Sunday. It was delicious. And, it was perfect for the time of year. My Ma makes it, so I am not sure there is a formal recipe.

3-4 sticks of rhubarb
sugar to taste
sweet pastry
butter

cream and ice cream to serve


Grease a good sized pie plate with butter and pre heat the oven to 180C. 

Thinly slice the rhubarb and add it with a knob of butter to a pan to soften. Add sugar to taste. Once softened, cool. You could add a handshake of sultanas.

Roll the sweet pastry to line the pie plate, and roll a good sized lid. Fill the pastry with the filling, and top. Pinch the lid to the bottom casing carefully. Pierce the lid to allow the air out. Glaze and place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked. Serve warm with cream and ice cream.

No comments: