Friday 27 January 2012

My dumb Ox: the things that we love tell us what we are.

There is not a day goes by when his name does not pass my lips. I cannot claim to be any great scholar, or to have read his work in its original Latin. Nevertheless, Aquinas' thought underpins mine insofar as it is the foundation of most Western Theology. I have my favourite bits of course, mostly remembered from school or university. He says, that because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being full of wonder. I have always treasured that thought, although many might not think it his most important. He also notes that it is the things that we love that tell us what we are. No one ever told me anything wiser than that. 


I daren't say much else. Except to wish everyone a happy feast. To start proceedings, I would offer a glass of Mimosa. Maybe when Aquinas was at Santa Sabina he would have raised a toast with this little tipple too, in honour of St. Dominic, his father in religious life.


Mimosa


Errr, this is easy. 


1 bottle yummy Champagne
1 Litre of Freshly squeezed orange juice (without the pips)


Pour the chilled Champagne into flute glasses until half full. Gently add the freshly squeezed juice, and stir. Excellent over ice. Good for the afternoon.


I chose this, I am sure you know, because of the orange tree in the garden of Santa Sabina. I loved it very much when I was there. Rationally, of course, I know that this is not the tree that St. Dominic brought to the land of Italy from Spain. But, I would believe it to be one of that tree's descendants. Around the base are the words Lignum habet spem: 'At least there is hope for a tree: if it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail.'  (Job 14: 7). I did not understand Latin when I was in Santa Sabina. I had to go and ask a friend to explain the saying to me. We sat on the balcony and over looked the 'infernal city' (as he called it). We drank a cold beer and talked about this and that. He said that hope springs eternal. I said I'd drink to that.


St. Thomas Aquinas OP, pray for us.





1 comment:

berenike said...

Apparently he invented dandelion and burdock.